Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2 days in...

...and other than some slight confusion this morning regarding my satellite campus' snow policy (...), things are going well.

I've had lecture for all 4 class in the past 2 days, so I now have a much better idea of what to expect in each class.  We normally have our clinicals on Wednesdays and Thursdays, but those don't start until next week...so I'm off the next 2 days!  But my normal day off, Friday, we have an all-day clinical orientation split between the local health department and the hospital (first chance to wear official clinical uniform...*squee*).  Always a trade-off...

Anyhoo, classes seem like they'll be interesting and I'll learn quite a bit.  I say this now, as a total noob, but I'm looking forward to clinicals and labs.  I like a change of scenery and the chance to do some hands-on learning.  Instructors seem pretty straightforward and human, as opposed to scary drill sergeant robo-nurse-bots.  This is going to be a semester of a lot of busy work, though!  Lots of reading...and watching Tegrity lectures...and skills DVD's...and some papers/written assignments here and there...and clinical journals every week...  BUT, no comprehensive final exams.  Nice.

Still having to buy supplies, though...things that weren't previously mentioned.  Health Assessment requires a tape measure and bandage scissors, probably less than $10 total; TNI requires a pre-made kit of catheter tubing, syringes, gauze, etc., which is another $70.  Ouch.  This whole nursing school gig is one of those nickle-and-dime things...except instead of nickles and dimes, it's more like $50's and $100's. :-/

My plan now is to grab each class schedule and get all assignments, exams, quizzes, journals, and whatever else entered into my handy-dandy planner...and then start getting this week's tasks checked off.  Due to no clinicals and then the Martin Luther King holiday, I've got a week to get stuff done.  Must. Not. Squander. Time.

Alrighty...schoolwork beckons...

1 comment:

  1. How exciting Kendra!! I'm soo thrilled for you and being able to survive your first week. Plus being able to wear your awesome uniform on Friday. I hear ya about the nickel and dime needed extras being more like $50's and $100's, are we just suppose to pluck that money off our money trees? haha, maybe so...
    Congrats to you and good luck for getting all the reading and school work done that's needed before next week!

    ReplyDelete