Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

My last weekend of "freedom"

Until December, anyway.  *sad*

Yep...school resumes Monday.  Course info is starting to show up on Blackboard, e-mails from instructors are starting to come in, my books have arrived.  Oh yeah...and required reading for both Psych and Adult Health in the textbooks, ATI reading, and 2 med dosage calculation quizzes, all on Monday.  I get to spend my last weekend not out with friends or enjoying my last couple of days off...nope, I get to read chapters and review conversions and rounding rules.  Yay nursing school.  :-/

Speaking of books, here's a look at what I will end up hating by the end of the semester.  The Med-Surg, Psych, Nursing Research, and Medical Terminology were new additions, while the others were books used (or at least bought) in previous semesters.  Med-Surg and Psych are still in their plastic wrap, but after the above mentioned reading assignments, I guess I'll have to break down and unwrap them...I guess they're officially mine at that point.  No turning back!

We found out we've got a new-to-our-program instructor for Adult Health this year...and I'm not sure how I feel about this.  The former instructor was our TNI instructor last spring.  She was tough and I wouldn't want to be on her bad side at all, but she was fair and she wanted us to succeed.  Other than our director, she is the most senior on-site staff as well, so she was able to call some shots and such.  The new person...no clue who she is, no clue as to her background, we know nothing.  And I think back to my Pharm class last fall, where we had a new instructor and because we were her guinea pig students, we suffered a bit.  Like to the point of we'll have to learn Pharm between now and taking the NCLEX in December 2012/January 2013 because we didn't really learn it when we took the course.  *sigh*  I know everyone has to start somewhere, everyone has a first semester of teaching or being an RN and all that...just...buh, I don't want another first semester teacher in my nursing school experience.  If that makes me selfish, then I guess I'm a bit selfish.  I'm just hoping all turns out OK.

I guess it's about time to dig my scrubs out from the depths of my closet, get my much loved Danskos out and dusted off, make sure my little Vera Bradley make-up case is stocked with my clinical supplies -- name tag, photo ID, stethoscope, scissors, penlight, pens, etc.  I don't know when we'll start with clinicals and lab, if it will be next week or the week after.  Other than having to write care plans every week, I am really looking forward to clinicals...I so love getting in there and doing real RN tasks.  Although I'm a bit nervous about Psych clinicals... o_O

I suppose I should wrap this up and take advantage of a quiet house (everyone's asleep) and not having to study (it's 0105...I'm not studying right now, not yet) and watch some TV off the DVR or read a non-academic book or something.  I will say a big GOOD LUCK to everyone else who is starting/resuming hell -- I mean nursing school -- in the next couple of weeks.  I hope everyone has an awesome semester!

Until the next time,

2 comments:

  1. OH Kendra you make me laugh. I can't wait to get back to school but mine doesn't start until the 6th of Sept. I look at my book pile and just grin, trying to figure out how I'm going to read all that's expected and retain anything. I'll be in the market to go shoe shopping, because my last pair of nursing shoes were horribly uncomfortable. Yay!
    I'll be praying and thinking about you on Monday for sure. Try to give all of us (most importantly me) an update on how things went after your first week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My program starts next week and I've also been frantically hitting the books to be ready for the first day of class. Good luck to us both, and all the others getting back/started this fall!

    Also, can you post a picture of your Vera Bradley clinical bag? I'm always up for new ideas of how to organize and I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete